Saint John the Evangelist (Lockport, IL)

Friday, March 11, 2005

Spirituality: Towards a Definition

I came across this article this evening while wandering through some of my usual haunts on the net. Don't get all excited (for the wrong reasons) that it is from Christianity Today's web site. The author of the article interviewed Eugene Peterson, a long time pastor and scholar, and entitled it "Spirituality for All the Wrong Reasons." Mr. Peterson reflects on the purpose of the church, the Christian life, and what he considers spirituality to be (or not to be). Something for us to reflect on.

The interview itself starts:

What is the most misunderstood aspect of spirituality?
That it's a kind of specialized form of being a Christian, that you have to have some kind of in. It's elitist. Many people are attracted to it for the wrong reasons. Others are put off by it: I'm not spiritual. I like to go to football games or parties or pursue my career. In fact, I try to avoid the word.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home